Friday, April 20, 2012

Tip: Fixing Chromuim not compiling with base GCC error on FreeBSD

I haven't updated the ports tree for a month or so imagine my surprise when portmaster aborted with the following message:
 ===>>> Launching child to update chromium-17.0.963.79 to chromium-18.0.1025.162  

 ===>>> Port directory: /usr/ports/www/chromium  

     ===>>> This port is marked IGNORE  

     ===>>> does not compile with base gcc  

     ===>>> If you are sure you can build it, remove the  

         IGNORE line in the Makefile and try again.  

 ===>>> Update for chromium-17.0.963.79 failed  

 ===>>> Aborting update  

Oh!

Quickly browsed through /usr/ports/UPDATING and didn't notice any entry on www/chromium so the next step was checking /usr/ports/www/chromium/Makefile and yes there was an IGNORE line.

I was pretty sure I didn't change the default buid options last time so I browsed to http://www.freshports.org/www/chromium/ and noticed that on chromium-18.0.1025.142 gcc46 and clang were introduced as compilers as base gcc became too old.

Upon running make config on the port I noticed that I hadn't a compiler defined so it was a matter to enabling GCC46 and running portmaster once again to update Chromium.

Of course you can use CLANG instead if you prefer.

No comments: